Epson 3880 vs Canon Pixma Pro 1 - any thoughts?

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Questions thread
kb2zuz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,196Gear list
Like?
Re: Epson 3880 vs Canon Pixma Pro 1 - any thoughts?
In reply to plknj, Jan 28, 2013

I LOVE my older Epson 3800. It's a great, solid printer and the large 80ml cartridges last a long time and the printer has survived 5 years of abuse and moving 3 times. I haven't used this specific Pixma but I have used some of their larger format roll-printers in the past. The Canons are also good, but I think in some respects the Pixma Pro 1 sits halfway between the 3880 and the Epson R3000. One thing that the Canon does have that Epson does not is a gloss optimizer cartridge than be useful if you mostly print on very glossy paper as it makes glossy prints look less like they were printed on an inkjet. Also Canon's Print Plug-In works quite well, though you have to get into the habit of printing through the export option in Photoshop instead of just hitting Print.

I'd look at your favorite papers to use and if it is not Epson or Canon brand paper (Ilford, Hanemühle, Innova, Inkpress) see if they have downloadable ICC profiles for both printers. I'm certain they'll have it for the Epson because it's so popular, and I would be surprised if they didn't have it for the Canon, but if they don't... then you're going to be needing to make custom ICC profiles.

If you print a lot the ink cost can add up. 80ml cartridges for the 3880 cost about $50, 36ml cardridges cost $36. That equates to 62.5cents per ml on the Epson, $1 per ml on the Canon. It's not a huge deal breaker if you print 5 or 10 prints a month, but if you print 10-20 prints a week, it's something to consider.

If you print mostly matte and luster, might occasionally want to print as large as 17x22, and print a lot where larger print cartridges will save you money in the long run. I'd probably say go with the Epson. If you want to print more on very glossy paper, could use it's extra features like printing on DVD/CDs, and you don't need anything bigger than 13x19 sheets and you don't mind paying a little more for ink the Canon is a nice printer.

-- hide signature --

\~K

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Epson Stylus Pro 4880 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow