First attempt at capturing star trails gone wrong. Please help !

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
confyushis
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?
infinity focus and free software
In reply to DrChirag, Jan 28, 2013

DrChirag wrote:

Hi guys. I was on a family trip away from the city where I had decided to capture star trails. I had a tripod with me. Here are the difficulties i faced.

1. Focussing of the lens. I have a Canon 550 D with 18-135 lens. I tried to autofocus but it would just refuse to focus. The stars werent bright enough to allow for manual focussing. Finally I tried to focus on a branch of atree and increased the F no.

the stars are very far away ... try manual focus and focus on something very far away ... probably the moon ...

2. Bulb mode. I shot on bulb mode with the cam fixed on a tripod. I didnt have a remote to had to keep my finger on the shutter button for over 3 minutes. I fear doing it repeatedly might damage the shutter button. Canon anyone help with some decent remote shutter with long enough shutter

free magic lantern software can help with long exposures ...
Magic Lantern - Bulb Timer

confyushis's gear list:confyushis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow