B&H selling returned products: Question for Mr. Henry Posner

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
Re: No choice with returns on the increase...
In reply to Midwest, Jan 28, 2013

Midwest wrote:

antoineb wrote:

However, businesses have to make a living.

And clearly, by reading posts in these forums here I get a feeling that more and more people just buy a camera on-line to play with it for a short while, never intending to keep it.

They then return the said camera, for no good reason but make up a reason. The real reason being that they either couldn't afford it in the first place, or have enough cameras to keep them happy but still want to play with the new stuff.

It galls me to read of people who buy several cameras planning to return all but one - or possibly all of them - because they can. I don't know the best approach to take with this sort of thing but I think it's wrong, and shows that people will take advantage if they can.

Some time ago one guy in the Panny forum had bought and returned three or four LX-3 or LX-5 cameras to different sellers because he just couldn't make up his mind if he liked it enough to want one. Then he said he was ordering another. I called him on that and he got all defensive.

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

Well, I know of a reviewer who does just that with lenses (buy lots with the intention of keeping just one of them) and he readily admits to it on his blog. If my memory serves me correctly, he as good as recommends that his readers do likewise.

However ..................

I think he is right to do so.

Why?

Because lenses aren't made to the tight tolerances that they should and can be. To put it rather uncharitably, the lenses are made sloppily and the manufacturers hope for us the consumer to deal with the issues or that we are too ill-informed to know what to look for in a lens.

So my view is, as far as lenses are concerned, tough!!! That's the price the manufacturers and/or retailers will have to pay for selling us below par products.

On the other hand, perhaps the best way to do it is to go to your local dealer and test a few copies of a lens on the premises and purchase the best one. But, in the context of this thread, that creates a problem because for you to test numerous lenses you are gonna have to break the seal on the boxes and ............. use the lenses. Are they now used items? Open box items? Demo items?

It's really a difficult issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow