Nikon 70-200 2.8 with a TC2.0 VIII is not very good on my D800

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,043Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 70-200 2.8 with a TC2.0 VIII is not very good on my D800
In reply to MikeInIndy, Jan 28, 2013

MikeInIndy wrote:

1. VR active is only for use on a boat or in a car, if you panned this shot the VR was probably fighting you.

Yes,

2. This combo is not considered to be that good even on low resolution cameras. On my D300 the lack of contrast was the biggest issue but I'd imagine the 800 might show more faults.

Which seems to be what you're seeing on this pic - focus is actually pretty good, there is a veiling light (which could well be intentional but decreases contrast and 'pop').

3. You really need to stop down to f8, I'm ony phone but another poster mentioned it was shot wide open.

The VRII is a much better performer on FX especially in the corners and takes TCs longer than the TC14 much better as well.

Frankly, I think you're doing pretty well with that combo. It looks as good as anything I've ever shot with that lens and camera combo. I'll use a 1.4 TC with the D800 and the 70-200 without too much trepidation, the 1.7 in a pinch and the 2.0 only if Elvis is coming out of the flying saucer.

With the incredible acuity of the D800 and 70-200 (naked), you are probably better off just cropping - you weren't really planning on printing A3 posters of the bird, were you?

-- hide signature --

RG www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow