Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fredrbis
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Mirror lens
Jan 28, 2013

I am hoping someone here can explain why the major camera manufacturers no longer offer mirror lens telephotos. The technology is compact due to the folded light path; it is very light weight in comparison to the refractive glass; and the physics is sound enough for the Hubble. Filtering and aperture control, although less simple than in a refractive lens, can be managed near the focal plane, I would think a great 600 mm lens could be made to sell for less than $1000 - but I see no sign of efforts in this direction, nor, more interestingly, of demand for this. Thirty five years ago I bought the Canon EF 500mm mirror lens for my first travel to Africa and it did a better than decent job.

Consequently I have to believe I am not understanding a physical limitation applicable to digital photography. If you have a feeling for why we don't see these lenses any more (except in the Opteka or Vivtar level), please share what you think. Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow