**weekly wildljfe Jan 27-Feb.2**

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,155Gear list
Like?
Re: Green Cay? Re: Some wetlands, and a few other places
In reply to Maxxuman, Jan 28, 2013

Maxxuman wrote:

I got to spend a few days at Green Cay a week or so back and the sora and painted bunting shots make me think that's where you were. Some nice shots there!

Indeed - Green Cay and nearby Wakodahatchee are my two local spots for wetlands shooting - for these shots I've also mixed in a few from Pond Hawk Natural Area, and I also do some birding at Arthur Marshall Refuge and Wellington Wetlands.

I'd actually taken my first ever shots of a sora at Green Cay on the first day of the trip and shortly afterward my a700 died (the aperture mechanism problem). It's off in Laredo now being repaired and I picked up an a77 to try in the meantime, which has been winning me over. It's odd that the sora was there almost every day I went out and yet I'd never seen one before, while I didn't see any of the roseate spoonbills that were almost always around when I was last there in November.

Green Cay might be the hottest spot for sora anywhere in Florida, or even all of North America.  They are always thought of as shy and hard to spot birds, and some folks will be happy if they see one or two a month...at Green Cay this time of year, I will commonly see a dozen or more in a 1-hour walk.  Saturday while there, I was standing in one spot trying to spot a much more rare Virginia Rail, and had 4 sora moving about in a 20-square-foot area right in front of me.  I was actually getting annoyed at having so many sora because they were interfering with trying to find the Virginia!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow