Photo Ninja vs Aperture

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,503
Like?
Re: Photo Ninja vs Aperture
In reply to Sgt_Strider, Jan 28, 2013

Sgt_Strider wrote:

I'm not sure if comparing the default rendering between ACR and PN will really determine which is the best RAW processor. Even after editing with both software, will one really notice the difference between PN and ACR? I'm also concerned about how much resources PN is spending to get more camera support. Adobe have a lot of resources at its disposal so most cameras will be added to its database. I'm not sure PN will do that. Until I get more specifics from PN with respect to its policy of camera support, I'm not sure I can ever move away from Adobe.

You ask a good question, and the answer is "no."  You cannot equal PN's results with any amount of adjusting in ACR or Capture One, which are the two programs that I have used to run numerous head to head comparisons.  PN outperforms them in a number of ways, including artifact free detail, highlight recovery and shadow detail.  And the shadow detail does not come at the expense of global contrast, as is the case with almost every other raw convertor.

If you have questions regarding camera support, send them to Picture Code.  They are a two person operation, but they are very responsive and helpful.  And by all means, reconsider your devotion to Adobe.  When you originally bought their software, did you take an oath of loyalty?  Software is software.  It is constantly being improved, and I can see no reason to deny oneself the benefit of those improvements for reasons that amount to a misplaced sense of commitment and force of habit.  Use what works best for you.

BTW, for those Lightroom devotees who are considering Photo Ninja, it is quite easy to use both programs in a complementary fashion.  LR can serve for file management, local adjustments and printing, while PN does the raw conversion.  Best of both worlds.  Also, the upcoming PN v1.1 will be available as a Photoshop plugin.  That will be my preference, as I like doing local adjustments at the pixel level.

Rob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow