kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
Re: how to respond when asked "why don't you get a DSLR?"
In reply to botw, Jan 28, 2013

botw wrote:

Ralph46 wrote:

Just thought of a simpler answer.

Just say that the DSLR is like a Nikon F and the NEX is like a Leica M. That doesn't do justice to the versatility of the NEX but most people with even a vague knowledge of cameras will understand.

-- hide signature --

I think you are a little optimistic about what sort of camera knowledge people have.

As for many others, dslrs - at least the nice ones - still have many advantages over mirrorless camera. Mirrorless cameras' main advantage over them is size, which is not an insubstantial advantage. In the end, this is a complex question and one I wouldn't get into unless you had a real desire and willingness to discuss with the person.

I think when people ask me the question it isn't about a comparison btwn DSLRs and mirrorless camera. While mirrorless cameras is a fast growing field, the vast majority out there probably has no idea what it is. So whether someone not into photography or a DSLR user, they may not know about mirrorless cameras at all and may think of NEX as just some P&S compact camera.

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow