Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,055Gear list
Like?
Re: Controlling Aperture on legacy/other lenses
In reply to phototeacher, Jan 28, 2013

phototeacher wrote:

Al,

Great! Thanks for the simple explanation, and the method to use aperture priority, which I usually do. I was thinking as an SLR user; when the lens is stopped down, the view darkens. The wonders of modern technology.

Ron

Al Valentino wrote:

phototeacher wrote:

When you stop down the (non-Fuji) lens, does the view through the EVF or the back LCD darken, or does it remain bright? If it remains bright, is there a way to preview depth of field?

No. the EVD compensates for brightness but the live histogram shows what's what. I set the shutter speed to A for automatic which lets the camera adjust the shutter speed for proper exposure - so essentially this lets you shoot in aperture Priority Mode.

As for DOF, since you are manually controlling the aperture what you see is the DOF that you will get.

Bottom line, this works and works well.

Yeah, that's the difference in an optical viewfinder and EVF. When dark the image might be a bit grainy since it is boosting the signal but it lets you see what you are doing. Setting to Manual for focus which lets you magnify the area of the focus point when you press the command dial actually makes manual focusing much easier than with an SLR.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow