Picking the ideal aspect ratios and other questions related to aspect ratios

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,090
Like?
Re: Multi-aspect ratio sensors do exist
In reply to Tom Axford, Jan 28, 2013

Tom Axford wrote:

I notice that several postings (not yours) in this thread suggest that multi-aspect ratio sensors do not exist.

Below are a couple of quick photos taken with a Pansonic LX5 to prove that multi-aspect ratio is real. Both photos were taken from the same position on the same lens setting, one with 4:3 aspect ratio and the other with 16:9.

Notice that neither is simply a crop of the other. The 4:3 contains extra parts of the image at the top and bottom that are not visible in the 16:9 (as you would expect). However, the 16:9 contains extra parts of the image on the extreme left and extreme right that are not visible in the 4:3 (which would not happen if it was a simple crop of the 4:3 image).

Sorry, but the brick wall was the first thing that came to hand. You may need to count the bricks in a particular row to see what I am getting at. The second image covers a slightly wider angle (horizontally) than the first.

Tom,

Thanks a lot for the post. If you have time later, I'd appreciate if you can show another example and please post the focal length that you used!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow