Why What Works (Luminous Landscape), a comment

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
duckling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,760Gear list
Like?
Re: Why What Works (Luminous Landscape), a comment
In reply to amalric, Jan 28, 2013

One of the worst trends of the past decade has been over-simplification. Photography has become "democratized" (personally I prefer 'accessible') and everybody wants to learn how to create beautiful, communicative, "artistic" photographs. Of course, where there is demand there is supply. Thousands of books, workshops, DVDs and blog posts have been trying to address this issue, but only very few are of any use to me. You can't reduce "good photography" into a set of composition rules. In fact you cannot produce consistently good work without the visual literacy (another cliche, sorry), general education, set of morals and critical thinking which will make you a good citizen of the modern world. A good (rather than successful or popular) photographer needs a lot of technical, artistic and general knowledge, discipline and determination. However, none of it will work without singular motivation, something to say.

I try to follow these three simple rules:

1. Over-analysis kills art.

2. Popularity is over-rated.

3. Perfection is boring.

duckling's gear list:duckling's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow