Yet another OM-D vs. GH3 thread

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,525Gear list
Like?
All Clear - Thanks!
In reply to John.Laninga, Jan 28, 2013

I wasn't sure what you meant in your previous post - thanks for clarifying.

8 clicks is correct, or at least it matches my count. I've recently started using MySets, and I agree that it should be easier to switch between them. I'd love to see them on the Mode dial, since I don't use P, iAuto, ART or SCN. I believe that's how they're set up on the E-PL5. Would be outstanding if Oly included this in a firmware update for the E-M5.

On the other hand, and this is just for me, I usually don't need to change between MySets very often. I have one set up for deliberate shooting, one for 'pseudo focus peaking' (activated by pressing Fn1 in the deliberate shooting mode), one for higher speed people photography with face-detection enabled and one for higher speed general photography with face-detection disabled. I understand that this is different than your use of the MySets, and that you likely have the need to switch more often.

One last note - although it's at least 8 clicks to switch MySets, it's fortunately only 4 buttons in a pattern that's pretty easy to burn into muscle memory with some practice:

Menu -> Right -> Down -> Right -> Down (until you're on the MySet you want to enable) -> OK -> Down -> OK. Again, not arguing that this is optimal, by any means, but it's at least fortunate that it's a reasonably simple pattern of buttons, and is usually only one click per button.

Hopefully we'll see the MySets added to the Mode dial, though. That'd be primo.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow