Questions about the Canon 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, and 6D's Live View Grid Options

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,060
Like?
Re: Questions about the Canon 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, and 6D's Live View Grid Options
In reply to bhollis, Jan 28, 2013

bhollis wrote:

Sgt_Strider wrote:

bakewell wrote:

When using the 6D the answer to both of your questions is yes. Can't speak to the other cameras capabilities....

I just want to address your post again after checking out the 6D's specs on Dpreview. There is no other option for a 1:1 aspect ratio at least for resolution. Are you sure there is a 1:1 crop option?

Don't know whether the 6D has a 1:1 aspect ratio setting or not (you might want to download and review the 6D manual). I've got a 5D3, and it does. If you select 1:1, the live view image will have black bars on the sides, and jpegs will be 1:1, while raws will still be 3:2 (why throw away info?).

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "option for a 1:1 aspect ratio at least for resolution." Only one way I know of to acheive a 1:1 aspect ratio is to crop off the edges.

Of course you can always acheive the same result in post., as I did with the shot below.

What I meant to say is that Dpreview's spec list doesn't show any 1:1 resolutions. The supported image resolutions are all 3:2.

I think what's true for the 5D MK III will probably be true for the 6D.

Will the RAW have any indicators/flag in the file so that DPP/ACR/Lightroom will recognize and then just show the 1:1 part of the image?

The better I compose the image in the first place, the less cropping will be required later and thus I'll ultimately have a higher resolution image. Second, sometimes it just looks better to compose for 1:1 in the first place.

I know you got a JPEG, but is it because you shoot RAW+JPG? If I were to shoot exclusively in RAW, will the 1:1 JPEG still be produced?

Thanks!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow