Why What Works (Luminous Landscape), a comment

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,955Gear list
Like?
Re: Why What Works (Luminous Landscape), a comment
In reply to amalric, Jan 28, 2013

amalric wrote:

BTW LL is not so lame: theirs is a devilishly interesting paper about Oriental landscape art:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/the_synthesis_of_chinese_landscape_painting_and_photography.shtml

I am sure most here know v. little about.

Chinese landscape painting is one of my favorite art forms.  We were inspired to go to Huangshan, the Yellow Mountain, in China because the paintings were so beautiful.  When you're at those mountains, you realize 700 year old essentially monochrome paintings are much more representational than you might have thought. Gorgeous area, with misty low lying clouds wonderfully contrasting craggy mountain rock.

I didn't think the article had anything original to say, but I could see how it would be interesting if you're not familiar with the subject.

19th century landscape painting is also worth studying. Things such as aerial perspective (distant items tend to have lower contrast, detail, saturation) and the play of light can be inspirational for landscape photography and processing.

I'm a frequent LL reader.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow