Thinking about Minolta 28-70 F2.8 G, went with TAMRON SP 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,799
Like?
Re: Thinking about Minolta 28-70 F2.8 G, went with TAMRON SP 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD
In reply to op1318, Jan 28, 2013

op1318 wrote:

The Zeiss 16-80 is an interesting walk-around lens for the A77. Not perfect, not fast enough for critical low-light situations,

Neither is an F2.8 lens. The CZ is only half a stop down in speed at the wide and just over a stop at the long end compared to the 28/70 F2.8. If you want fast you need to be talking F2 at least but preferably F1.4 with lenses like the new Sigma 35mm, Sony 50mm 1.4 and CZ 85 F1.4.

not very well built, but quite good with a great range in a small and lightweight package when you need it.

I think build quality ceased to be an issue a while ago. Mine is absolutely fine and suffers no mechanical problems. It might be light compared to a 28/70 but I wouldn't call it small . I suppose that depends on your frame of reference. I come from an Olypmus film background and those old Zuiko lenses were small.

Mind you I wouldn't want a 28/70 on aps-c anyway.  Just not wide enough for a standard zoom with 42mm equivalent at the wide end.  The CZ 24-70 is just about OK as that roughly 36mm equivalent wide end is a lot  more useful but that is very heavy and very expensive.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow