how many $$$ have legacy lenses saved for you? and aren't they fun?

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,017Gear list
Like?
Re: Rams and sheep......
In reply to tedolf, Jan 28, 2013

tedolf wrote:

mgibbs wrote:

Looks like most have not had the same pleasant experience that I have with legacy glass....maybe I've attracted the "wrong sort" with my thread title. next time i'll consider more carefully.....

at any rate, if you've been spending full boat for native m43 lenses, by all means don't let your significant other see my original post!

this thread was bound to separate the rams from the sheep.

Let's face it, someone who learned in the film era is not intimidated by manual focus, and MF with the VF-2 and magnified view is a dream compared to entry level dingy dSLR viewfinders.

Those folks find legacy glass to be like finding money on the sidewalk.

But if AF is all you know, legacy glass is going to be terrifying and you can't expect people like that to admit to their fears/lack of skills rather than make excuses as to why legacy lenses are bad, expesive useless, etc.

Bravo! Well said!

I use a hodgepodge of lenses with my GH2. Native M4/3 AF lenses, native M4/3 manual lenses and an array of adapted manual lenses both old and new from different systems. But I really prefer my manual lenses.

I've even bought new manual lenses rather than buying the native AF lenses. The Voigtländer Nokton 25mm and Voightländer 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar (Leica screwmount) and SLR Magic Hyperprime 12mm T1.6 come to mind.

Learning to support the lens with your left hand and focusing manually are a basic photographic skills. It gives me the chance to think, be more deliberate and compose rather than machine gun away and picking "keepers" when back home. And really, diddling around with AF can be just as time consuming as MF and oftentimes WAAAAAY more frustrating. I guess it boils down to skill and comfort levels.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow