Yet another OM-D vs. GH3 thread

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
John.Laninga
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?
From someone who has both OMD and GH3
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Jan 28, 2013

I really wanted to like the OM-D and I was amazed at the configurability of the camera.  Once I had it though I found that this came at the expense of ease of use.  For example, with longer lenses you almost have to use the grip.  But the first time I had to change a battery while shooting birds I was very unhappy.  Sure, on the kitchen table it's easy, when you're standing in mud it's another thing entirely.

And that is just one example; the focus box is yet another.  And MySets... cool idea, but you have to go menu diving every time you want to change a configured setting.

Yes, color rendition between the two is also different, in subtle ways.  But that is all changeable in your processing software, when I import into Capture One every image is automatically optimized the way I want it anyway.  No real difference (other than a one time setup) between the OM-D and GH-3.

Suffice it to say I was more comfortable with the GH-3 in one day than I was with the OM-D in 6 weeks.  And yes, I read the manuals.

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow