The Raw v JPEG challenge (RX100)

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,107Gear list
Like?
Not really
In reply to busch, Jan 28, 2013

busch wrote:

I basically agree with Moti but one should do what gives the desired results. I did a quick and dirty PP of your JPG using my ancient Photo Impact 12 and in 2 1/2 minutes had a shot about like yours except I think your PP'ed shot is a bit on the red/magenta side.

BUT, the real point is the camera captured what you saw and not what you would have liked to have seen!

I really do not understand this RAW vs JPG thing all the time. With today's cameras either one will deliver excellent results if the button pusher does their job.

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

It captured what was there, not what was perceived. These were quickly changing (flashing) colored lights at a live music venue. When I took the shot, I did not even 'see' the purple light because it was just a momentary flash. I certainly wouldn't waste my time intentionally taking someone's picture under such lighting. To prove the point these lousy photos of the band itself were taken within a space of about 3 seconds. Note how much the lighting differs from one image to the next:

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow