The Raw v JPEG challenge (RX100)

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Docno OP
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,308Gear list
Not really
In reply to busch, Jan 28, 2013

busch wrote:

I basically agree with Moti but one should do what gives the desired results. I did a quick and dirty PP of your JPG using my ancient Photo Impact 12 and in 2 1/2 minutes had a shot about like yours except I think your PP'ed shot is a bit on the red/magenta side.

BUT, the real point is the camera captured what you saw and not what you would have liked to have seen!

I really do not understand this RAW vs JPG thing all the time. With today's cameras either one will deliver excellent results if the button pusher does their job.

-- hide signature --

Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

It captured what was there, not what was perceived. These were quickly changing (flashing) colored lights at a live music venue. When I took the shot, I did not even 'see' the purple light because it was just a momentary flash. I certainly wouldn't waste my time intentionally taking someone's picture under such lighting. To prove the point these lousy photos of the band itself were taken within a space of about 3 seconds. Note how much the lighting differs from one image to the next:

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow