how to respond when asked "why don't you get a DSLR?"

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ralph46
Senior MemberPosts: 1,180Gear list
Like?
Re: how to respond when asked "why don't you get a DSLR?"
In reply to kev777zero, Jan 28, 2013

If you are discussing your preference with paople who know anything about photography technic they will be quick to understand your reasoning that bulky mirrorboxes with flapping mirrors are the state of art of the pre 1920s and absolutely ridiculous in digital cameras that show you the image from the sensor anyway. Then you can demonstrate how much smaller and lighter the body and lenses can be because of the smaller distance between back element and sensor. In the case of the NEX 6 and 7 you can demonstrate how superior the EVF is compared to the small tunnel VFs of the entry level DSLRs. Legacy lenses and superior manual focussing - makes my DSLR friends drool.

I have only been using my NEX kit for 4 weeks now but I already have at least 2 converts from the DSLR camp. Most DSLR shooters aren't aware of the benefits of NEX, Pen etc. I believe FF DSLRs will survive for some time for pros and former middle format applications and have advantages in sports etc. under extreme conditions.

And if I discuss with people who know very little about cameras they will be impressed about my advanced P&S. OK with me too, why argue. Understatement can be an advantage.

-- hide signature --

Ralph46's gear list:Ralph46's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow