Yet another OM-D vs. GH3 thread

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,529Gear list
Like?
Re: Yet another OM-D vs. GH3 thread
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Jan 28, 2013

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

At first after trying both cameras, I liked better the ease of the interface on the GH3, but then I thought that is a matter of learn a bit and get used to the OMD interface.

I really like both cameras. Now the ease of the interface is not a point to me. The only pro I see now on the GH3 compared to the OMD are the 7 Fn buttons. This speaking only on the ease of use.

7 Fn buttons might be nice, but it starts to sound like overkill at some point (for me). The OMD has up to 5 Fn buttons, depending on how it's configured, and just as a point of comparison. In addition to the obvious Fn1 and Fn2 buttons, the Movie Record, Right D-Pad and Down D-Pad buttons can all be assigned functions by the user.

I mention that because I bet it's unclear to some people that all of those buttons are programmable. Add in the well-implemented Super Control Panel, and I think Oly has made it pretty easy to access many of the most important camera settings quickly.

Currently, my Fn1 and Movie Record button functions are MySet-dependent. My Down Arrow is Frame Rate and my Right Arrow is ISO. Fn2 is set to a multi function button, and I generally use it to toggle between the different focus box options (standard, pinpoint and magnified).

Notice - not arguing here, simply making it clear what options the OM-D has for customizability, for those who are unaware.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow