What would you do with these camera choices?

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
raimZ
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
What would you do with these camera choices?
Jan 28, 2013

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a camera.  I've been sent to India for work for a few months, and would love to take a lot of pictures.  I'm inexperienced with cameras other than point and shoots and my Galaxy Note 2, but I do have an OK level of understanding of the ideas and concepts of photography (I'm a lighting artist for a visual effects company).

I've been researching like mad the last 2 weeks.  I would like to present my findings and get any feedback, and your own thoughts on this list.

Olympus XZ-1 @ INR 24.5k [USD 457, EURO 340] (XZ-2 not released yet)

Seems like an amazing little gem, but it's local price right now seems too much for an older camera when there are, i feel, more capable cameras at similar or slightly higher price.  This has been my first choice since I discovered it.

Sony RX100 @ INR 26.5K [USD 494, EURO 367]

The image quality matches the larger sensors of m43 systems in a very pocketable package.  This was not really an option cos it's retail online for INR 34k, but then I went to a shop and he quoted me the above price. It was a bit surprising   Some quirks, but all in all, one of the strongest compacts.

Panasonic LX5 @ INR 30k [USD 559, EURO 415] (LX7 not released yet)

Strong camera, but It came to be on my list mainly because I thought one day, if the XZ-1 is this much, for a little more I could get this!

Canon G15 @ INR 34.5k [USD 643, EURO 478]

Good versatility with an overall fast lens throughout its range.

Olympus E-PL3 with single lens 14-42mm kit @ 26.5k [USD 494, EURO 367]
Olympus E-PL3 with single lens 14-42mm kit + 17mm f2.8 or 45mm f1.8 @ up to INR 46.5k [USD 867, EURO 644]

or

Olympus E-PM1 with twin lens 14-42mm & 40-150mm kit @ 26.5k [USD 494, EURO 367]
Olympus E-PM1 with twin lens 14-42mm & 40-150mm kit @ 26.5k + 17mm f2.8 or 45mm f1.8 @ up to INR 46.5k [USD 867, EURO 644]

When considering the price, I found that I could get these pretty good m43 systems.  Although the kit lens would be could in good light, I wanted to add 1 prime for low light and nice bokehability  which would of course bump up the price.  But from what I understand, the bigger sensors do help with image quality over most enthusiast compact cameras.  It's been recommended to me that the 17mm (34mm equivalent) would be the most versatile of the primes. Unfortunately the f1.8 version is unavailable here, and I'm going to assume it would be close to double the price of the f2.8 here, which would put it way out of my budget.

I have to go with something now, and can't really wait much more for newer ones to come out, cause I'd be gone by then.  I want to be able to shoot decent low light images, and I LOVE bokeh. Of course, in that regards, DOF is more limited with my choices, but good bokeh would be nice.  I would use it for street photography mostly, candid people shots, that kind of thing.

So, if you guys were to have these choices, what are you thoughts on the cameras and pricing? Any suggestions to add, that I should look into? I initially was looking only at enthusiast compacts, but with the price of the m43 systems I could not ignore them especially with the expandability and greater image quality with the use of primes. The price is a lot more but if the reason is justifiable to make that investment.  What I feel about the XZ-1 is that it costs too much here in India, with the RX100 only a little more expensive.  But all the Oly's have 1 year international 2 years local warranty, the others are local only. This is a bonus for me however.

Raimy

ANSWER:
Canon PowerShot G15 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow