OM-D E-M5 a huge disappointment for me...

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
theNeverKings
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
IBIS, VR, OIS etc...
In reply to daddyo, Jan 28, 2013

daddyo wrote:

I do not have any issues with 'shutter shock' on either of my E-M5's -- regardless of lens used.

After reading all kinds of posts on this issue, it is my belief that the IBIS system in the E-M5 is so sensitive that those who have very steady hand holding technique tend to be the ones who experience this the most.

I believe that those with really good hand holding technique create a situation much like mounting the camera on a tripod, but there is just enough movement to cause the IBIS to correct when it's not needed, causing the blurred or double image.

Those like me who tend to be a bit shaky when hand holding, have no problem because the IBIS is doing just what it is supposed to do.

Perhaps you are trying too hard to hold the camera steady when hand holding:-) -- or perhaps I am entirely wrong on this. All I know is that I can't seem to make it happen, but it is clearly a real issue for some shooters.

God Bless,

Greg

Hi.

I have wondered whether or not the various optical stabilising technologies could degrade image quality under certain circumstances.

I recently took possession on a Nikon D7000 and the 18-105 VR kit lens. I decided to use it for some street photography on a recent trip to Melbourne, in place of my D90/10-20 (non VR) combo. After getting back home to Tasmania and reviewing the files, I noticed a percentage had what could only be described as a "double image" effect on them, very subtle but there non the less. This was not something I would see on my D90 files, motion blur yes, but no double image. I suspected it was due to the VR mechanism "snapping back" upon reaching the limit of its travel.

Last week I demo'd the OMD EM5 with the 12 f2. Strangely enough when I got home and viewed the files I noticed that there was a horizontal "doubling" effect on the outer 25% of one side of a frame. The effect seemed to diminish  as the it went towards the center of the frame (think looking into the distance, down a railway track) I then recalled that I had used the touch screen for this shot, tapping to activate focus AND shutter (I absolutely love this feature"). I had tapped on the image of a man seated to the far left of the composition. Now, given that the sensor sees the image upside down and reversed, it seems to make sense that the tapping of the screen (perhaps awe bit too enthusiastically) had caused the camera to twist along the lens axis (offset due to the way I was cradling the camera in my hand), thereby activating one of the five directional stabilisers (rotation). The rotation would be most apparent in the image opposite the area I had tapped, away from the man in this case.

I'm curious as to whether this "shutter shock" has been observed in cameras where the IBIS has been turned off.

Cheers.

P.S. I hope my description make sense. I'll try to post an example to my gallery. Unfortunately our broadband has been "shaped" until the end of the month.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow