Nice to finally see positive review of Oly 17mm 1.8 :)

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 701Gear list
Like?
Re: Nice to finally see positive review of Oly 17mm 1.8 :)
In reply to Neil, Jan 28, 2013

Neil wrote:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/01/27/the-olympus-17-1-8-lens-review-on-the-e-m5-by-steve-huff/

I am still waiting for mine in the mail - hopefully lens will be delivered in a few days!

Cheers,

Neil

I picked it up a week ago and I've been very happy with it. The only reason it seems to be getting some negative reviews is that it's not the best 17mm that anyone could imagine and some feel it's priced a little high compared to the 20mm. It's smaller than I expected.

I haven't done any sharpness tests, but the sharpness looks fine on my monitor while working on the files. Prints at 8x10 look great, just like my 20mm I've used for years. I don't really print larger, but as I look at the screen I see no reason it wouldn't work fine.

The big bonuses over the 20mm at AF speed and zone focusing. I didn't have many problems with the 20mm in regards to AF, but the 17mm solves all of them. I wanted to do more zone focusing which is difficult with most m43s lenses. The 12mm was too wide and i didn't want to pay for the 17mm f0.95 or 25mm. This lens works out great. diglloyd commented the the focusing steps in MF mode aren't very fine, so it may not work well for close up work. (Use the normal camera enabled MF mode for that), but it's fine for prefocusing at f5.6 or f8 which is what I want it for.

I'm quite happy with it.

My only issue is that I used to use the 20mm/14mm combo on two bodies. The 17mm/14mm is too close, so I'm finding myself looking at the Panasonic 25mm and going 17mm/25mm.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow