Opinions needed on Macro lens

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
westerner
Contributing MemberPosts: 893Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinions needed on Macro lens
In reply to harpo95993, Jan 28, 2013

I have really enjoyed using my Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 OS Macro. Worth looking at, and priced at around $389 right now. Has great image stabilization and can be focused on objects touching the end of the lens. Super sharp at 70mm too, where it's at it's best, optically. Doubles as a great walk around lens or for lower-light indoor shots with it's faster-than-kit aperture. Just beware of softer sides and corners on wider angle shots, but center sharpness at any focal length and aperture is off the charts phenomenal. Easily as sharp in the center and almost as good in contrast as my 24-70 and 70-200 VRII - I'm not kidding...

And don't worry that the aperture is f4 at 70mm. The best macros are generally taken at f8 to f16 and on a tripod of some sort. The depth-of-field is ridiculously shallow already at f4 and 70mm, particularly when focused close for macro shots.

-- hide signature --

K.B.

westerner's gear list:westerner's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow