Slightly OT raw converter discussion

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
jonska
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,205Gear list
Like?
Re: Slightly OT raw converter discussion
In reply to rogerstpierre, Jan 28, 2013

jonska wrote:

Strangely, any edits made in Silkypix disappear when the image is returned to LR unless I save the image and then import it into Lightroom as a jpeg. ..

Nothing strange about that, LR is not able to read Silkypix development parameters, which are stored in a proprietary file format. When you process a RAW, you are not modifying the actual file, the software writes to a file the parameters that you apply, and "reapplies" them when you open up the file, hence nothing is actually saved in the RAW file itself.

Glad that is cleared up. but it seems to me that since Lightroom permits "edit in other applications" and permits Silkypix as such an application, it should recognise the development parameters - but that's just me talking as a consumer who demands unreasonable things.

But - it is not really a problem as I just export from Silkypix and then re-import into Lightroom. Problem solved (with two extra steps).

I do like Silkypix DS Pro 5 very much. As a result of DPR review, I am trying DxO, but so far I am not impressed, DSP 5 is so much better IMO, but that's me. While it does not have DxO camera/lens specific corrections, it's easy enough to create your own, and share them with others if you wish to.

-- hide signature --

Roger

I like SilkyPix too, especially for the colour rendering of Pentax raw shots. It is just too limited in other respects.

-- hide signature --

Shooting since '59 and still waiting for a keeper

jonska's gear list:jonska's gear list
Pentax K-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow