Yet another OM-D vs. GH3 thread

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,535Gear list
Like?
Re: Yet another OM-D vs. GH3 thread
In reply to gtravis, Jan 28, 2013

gtravis wrote:

With my G1 and GH2, I developed what I called "race car driver" habits -- I didn't wait until I saw what I wanted to shoot in the EVF before shooting. I had to anticipate what was likely to come up and hit the shutter before I thought it would happen -- i.e. I was aiming for where I thought the subject would be once the shutter fired, not where they were when I looked through the EVF.

Frankly, I thought the OM-D would be better in this regard, particularly since Olympus lauds it as having the fastest CD focus in the universe. But I found my OM-D was no faster than the GH2 and seemed to require even more anticipation.

I just came back from shooting a kid's birthday party at a bowling alley with the GH3. I was amazed at how fast the EVF was updating and, most importantly, that I appeared to get a shot the instant I pushed the shutter -- i.e. I waited until the action in the EVF was what I wanted and then hit the shutter. And it captured it, every time. Never had that happen with an EVIL camera before.

ian. The OM-D is a piece of art.

I think I know what do you mean... I call it camera responsiveness.

Talking about GH2: in menu it has an option called " half press release" - the option I did not have with G1. When I set this option "ON", my GH2 response the way you have described - instant shutter response, and feel like having old film camera of my younger days.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow