Real bird photographers don't do feeder pics - Panny 100 -300

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
mrxak
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?
Re: Real bird photographers don't do feeder pics - Panny 100 -300
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Jan 27, 2013

I take my birds wherever I can get them, feeders or no feeders. I've been able to get some of my best shots by letting the birds come to me, so they're comfortable and I'm not chasing them through the woods or swamp or field. If that means camping out next to a feeder for a couple hours, so be it. I don't really see myself as a bird photographer, though. I'm a birdwatcher who just happens to take pictures as trophies so I can admire my favorite species whenever I like later.

But, in keeping with the thread title, here's some I took today.

The House Sparrows around here are quite skittish, so this is actually the closest I've been able to get with my camera.

A male Northern Cardinal. Not my best picture, but the only sighting I had today.

Black-capped Chickadee, peering down at the crazy human holding something weird against his face.

Female Red-bellied Woodpecker. These are quite common in my area, but unfortunately quite shy as well. This is the only unobstructed picture I've been able to get so far, and it was taken from pretty far away.

In addition to these, I got a few great shots of several other birds on feeders, including a Downy Woodpecker and Red-breasted Nuthatch. I didn't see too many species, overall, but I had fun with my shiny new GH3.

mrxak's gear list:mrxak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow