Full frame cameras

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeddi
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
Re: Full frame cameras
In reply to andreame, Jan 27, 2013

I know I'm a bit late to this party, however ...

andreame wrote:

I know that the ISO is better and they do better in low lighting situations, but is this really necessary for a good shot?

The fact that good shots exist that weren't taken with a FF sensor suggests they're not a prerequisite.

Will Olympus ever do a full frame, you think?

I'd be really surprised if they ever tried to get (back) into that market.

I mostly popped in to point you at this most excellent, though admittedly very dated, article that I read aeons ago - http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/FullFrameWars.html

He updates it periodically, just with addenda at the end of the article, but the angry ranty frustrated nature of it really appealed to me when I first found it.  The history, specifically the totally arbitrary nature of this sized format, is interesting to contemplate, as is the discussion about the improvements in lens manufacturing technology over the past decade or two (that have, and will continue to, along with sensor improvements, offset the problems of a smaller sensor).

Jeddi's gear list:Jeddi's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow