Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Meuh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,089Gear list
Like?
da* 16-50 or Tamron 17-50.
Jan 27, 2013

I have the chance of a DA* 16-50 for £400 (used) and I think it would be a good match along with my DA* 50-135 f2.8 replacing my sigma 24-60 f2.8 (as its just not wide enough at times.).
But I'm not sure If I should go for that or the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which is about 60% of the cost new.
Reasons for wanting the DA* 16-50 f2.8.
1) 1mm wider
2) built like my da* 50-135 f2.8 which I love and with weather sealing.
3) Quite AF
4) Automatic corrections in light-room (does the Tamron have this?)
Reasons against.
The lens is larger/heavier than the tamron with a larger filter thread.
SMD can be prone to fail (although my lens has been fine).
It's second hand.
Price..  I could use the change saved towards another flash or a fast samyang.
I have a cpl thats 67mm,  I wonder if I could use it on the tamron or pentax using a stepdown ring without causing much problems?  I do this on my 24-60 sigma but I get away with that because its a FF lens.
What would you guys/girls do?   I do love the sigma 24-60 but I'm finding it just isn't wide enough at times and while a wide zoom could make more sense.. times when I need more width it would be nice to get it on a lens that can also zoom to around 50mm.
I currently keep a 18-55wr kit lens in my bag to use when I need the extra width or if its raining a bit (hay I stay in scotland) but tbh most of my shooting is indoors/studio stuff with the da* 50-135 or some crazy 8mm fisheye stuff :).

Meuh's gear list:Meuh's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow