Do We REALLY Need The Latest And Greatest???

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
normsmith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,372
Like?
Re: Do We REALLY Need The Latest And Greatest???
In reply to tarakanchik, Jan 27, 2013

I think we have reached a point in digital development in which most cameras are good and arguably better than anything else from the past.

At the same time our expectations have raised and over the past 10 years we have become 'trained' to look for noise and sharpness above composition and content. The result is there are people who just want to snap gate posts, fences and tree stumps that are lugging around top of the range gear.

I have stopped system jumping and mostly stopped looking into photo's critically at shadow, highlight, noise, sharpness etc and instead try to enjoy the picture for what it is. We recently looked at some of our old family photo's (from film days) and what was interesting was that in many cases, the background was actually more interesting than the main subject - comments such as 'remember those cars' and 'remember that shop' etc took centre stage ........ ironically, I have spent the past 10 years trying to get shallow depth of field shots!

I guess what I am saying is that for a big chunk of us, it is time to start shifting our emphasis from kit to back content.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow