Help please: 75/1.8 instead of 35-100?

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
S. Miller
Contributing MemberPosts: 600
Like?
Re: Help please: 75/1.8 instead of 35-100?
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Jan 27, 2013

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

Tough decision.

After seeing a friend's images shot with the Canon 135/2 and a FF camera, I lust for the effect. This is pushing it with the 75/1.8, probably impossible with the 35-100/2.8

I enjoy shooting with the 45/1.8, but I find myself a bit imposing in candid situations. The 75 could be the lens for these situations.

I consider the 35-100, together with the 12-35, more like a pro kit for weddings. I can see these 2 lenses replacing many FF kits in pro situations.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

I agree completely that the 12-35 and 35-100 is perfect for wedding shooters. I don't make money from my photos and don't have the same need to be ready for every shot, so at $1,500 the 35-100 is even more in the land of "nice to have". Again, if I thought I could use it well for soccer, that would be a different story. Actually, the lens could be great for my sports needs, it's the body that has the problem.

I also agree with you about the 45 in candid situations. If I want a fairly tight shot, I have to get in pretty close with the 45 (or crop), so the 75 could be quite nice in these settings. Of course, for more of an environmental shot, the 17 or 25 will be perfect. Either way, for wide or tight, I love the tilt screen for a less obtrusive shot.

Steve

P.S. I saw an image the other day on Google+ that blew me away. It must have been from something similar to the 135/2 that your friend has. While the Oly 75/1.8 may not deliver that much wow, it certainly seems quite nice from the images I've seen on the internets.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow