Started Jan 27, 2013 | Questions thread
gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,786
Like?
Re: What is mFT FoV?
In reply to Anders W, Jan 27, 2013

Anders W wrote:

gollywop wrote:

If one has, say, a 12mm lens on an mFT camera, it presumably implies some FoV. However, these days a large number of mFT lenses do software correction for lens distortions, and the image as rendered in, say, ACR is significantly different from the uncorrected version of the same image.

My question: is the 12mm FoV relevant to the FoV of the original image or the FoV of the corrected image, which is, typically, significantly smaller than that of the original?

The diagonal FoV in the official specs is the one you get after correction. This follows from the fact that the FoV specs for MFT lenses are the same as for other lenses with the same EFL (e.g., 84 degrees for the 12/2) as well as from the formula for calculating diagonal FoV based on the FL for a rectilinear lens described here.

The FL and the horizontal and vertical FoVs are the same before and after correction. Geometric distortion implies a departure from strict rectilinearity that affects the diagonal FoV only.

I'm not so sure, Anders; but thanks, by the way, for a very thoughtful answer. Here is an image taken with my 12-35 at 12mm. The first image is the dng as rendered in ACR, which does the lens corrections automatically. The second is as rendered in Photo Ninja, which takes the full raw data and makes no lens corrections. (The PN image is identical in size and distortion to the rendering obtained with RPP, which also makes no lens corrections.)

You can see that the FoV as seen in the PN rendering is both wider and taller. It's not just the diagonal that's affected. Once the lens-correction crop has been made by ACR, the FoV is less in every direction.

My question is whether it is the cropped FoV from ACR that corresponds to what should be the angle of view appropriate to a focal length of 12mm on a mFT camera -- or is it the FoV as seen in the PN image that does.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Guy:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow