how many $$$ have legacy lenses saved for you? and aren't they fun?

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
mgibbs
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?
Re: You're joking, right? C'mon...
In reply to Dave Sanders, Jan 27, 2013

Dave Sanders wrote:

So, how many $$$ have you saved by using legacy glass, and please post pics too!

...there is no chance that I will SAVE money with legacy glass. Buying an OM-D will undoubtedly cost me MORE money on legacy glass. I previously had a big enough problem with trolling ebay and local camera shops for interesting MF lenses...now with an OM-D? It's a serious problem. Being a Nikon DSLR shooter, I already had some great MF and AF-D glass perfect for use with an adapter. But once I was on ebay buying an adapter...well, the seller had adapters for Minolta MD and love the look of the old Rokkors...oh, and K-mount too! I still have a nice Takumar 50mm that I use on my K1000...and look, Contax C/Y! I used to love my Contax 135/2.8...and...and...I had to talk myself down from the ledge.

The short short flange distance which allows infinite adaptability coupled with excellent IBIS and 14X magnification is a heady mix for those of us who love not only the look of classic glass but also the the old-school quality of construction and the pace of working with MF. I have the outstanding 45/1.8 but it doesn't stop me from working with the underrated Nikkor 50/2 because it is not necessarily better, but it is different, and that is the key. For me, photography is about passion, joy and enthusiasm. I love being excited to go out shooting; to have the ability to experiment and work with different tools to provide me with new ways of seeing and ultimately accomplishing my vision. It's inspiring. And it is not cheap. But oh boy is it fun...

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

I cannot speak to your addiction, except that I completely condone it.  Have fun with it - so far, I am!

mgibbs's gear list:mgibbs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow