Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DaveKaiPiper
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
The Perfect camera ( Pentax 645d )
Jan 27, 2013

The Pentax 645d, is a pretty amazing camera and I have never been more upset to have to return a loan unit from a camera company. I had the camera on loan for a camera review for the Digital Photographer magazine. As this is a very special camera we decided to set up a very special shoot. Lets have a horse fly down a beach at full speed and lets use the slowest frame rate camera we can find. But, I knew if we pulled it off we would have the most amazing shots. In my head this is what photography is about about.

The past few weeks I had been testing the camera out shooting my typical landscapes and portraiture. Using the Pentax in the studio was frustrating at the start as the flash would not sync on anyother setting than the X-Sync mode. This was something that we worked out after a good while. The 645d has some very interesting shooting modes unique to Pentax. The hyper program and hyper manual modes are most certainly worth a look, however, most of my shots were shot on full manual. The 645d's metering system is wonderful, fast balanced. Focusing is fast, simple and pretty amazing. Using the SAFO IX+ auto focus system is easy to make sure you don't miss critcal focus. The 645d out preforms many other MF digital back cameras and beats the D800 hands down.

The Pentax outputs DNG files, something I was very glad to notice, one of the worst problems of testing cameras, especially new cameras, is that they just don't fit into a workflow system. The DNG files are great to handle. Duel SD cards are great too, the write speeds of the SDHC cards are pretty fast these days so I was not upset by no CF card. The camera is a has a wonderful white  balance, the viewfinder is wide and bright, great for shooting on a windy overcast beach. The airtight, all weather construction of the camera was also reassuring. But, the main reason I love the Pentax is the stunning images the 44mmx33mm CCD sensor creates. Having a unique shutter braking mechanism ensures the very large shutter is quiet and free from the big vibration that other large sensor cameras can suffer from. The the shot above was at 1/50th of a second.

Pentax claim: Rich gradation, natural depth-of-field depiction at open aperture, and crisp image definition at smaller apertures. The large image circle and broad sensor plane of the medium-format image sensor assures these benefits — factors essential for producing super-high-quality, true-to-life images unrivaled by 35mm-format counterparts. I can no disagree on any points and only add to the statement. The Pentax offers up the most lifelike tones I have ever seen on a camera. Pentax has a low-pass-filter-less design in the 645d which means the sharp, razor sharp. It took Nikon almost 3 years to catch up with the  medium-format image sensor with this concept

the rest of the article is here with high res downloads - http://www.davepiper.org.uk/blog/archives/5872

DaveKaiPiper's gear list:DaveKaiPiper's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Nikon D800 Pentax 645D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow