Shopping for monitors. Would like some opinions.

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jalmod90
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Re: Watch out for HDCP support
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Jan 27, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Jalmod90 wrote:

I've been shopping for monitors to do photo work with. I was looking at a few different 24" monitors (1920x1200) and a some 27" monitors(2560x1440). I would like to know your experiences with :
Workflow using a dual monitor set up, especially if you use dual 27" monitors.
Korean brands like CatLeap and Shimian.

Be careful with the generic brand Korean displays like that. It's my understanding that most of them do not include HDCP support.

So, you may not be able to use them for displaying any protected content (movies from Blu-Ray players, streaming video from your cable provider, content from netflix, etc.). That type of content requires a monitor with HDCP support.

Now, it's my understanding that microcenter offers a cheaper display from Korea that does have HDCP support. This one (at least it's specs claim it supports HDCP):

http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

I have no personal experience with them. But, I would not consider purchasing any display without HDCP support at this point, since more and more content is going to require using a display with HDCP support as time passes.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

I'm not to worried about HDCP support because the computer these monitors will be used on, will only be used for  "work and productivity." I have a laptop which will handle all of my media purposes.

I would go and check that out, but the nearest microcenter is about 20+ miles away. Thanks for the suggestion though. I would like to see one of these in person and see how well it would work in my set up.

-- hide signature --

"In the Internet age, the bathroom is now the photography studio.In the film age, the bathroom was the developing lab.
And before the film age, I guess it was just the outhouse." - Anonymous

Jalmod90's gear list:Jalmod90's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow