Yet another OM-D vs. GH3 thread

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,054Gear list
Like?
Re: Yet another OM-D vs. GH3 thread
In reply to RSColo, Jan 27, 2013

RSColo wrote:

I almost got an OM-D, but there were two issues I couldn't live with. One of them was a "menu" thing. I do a lot of HDR photography and I need to frequently change the bracketing settings (none-3-5-7 shots). The OM-D put the bracketing settings deep down in the menu and that was one of the few settings they didn't allow on any of the function buttons. The GH cameras provide much easier access to the settings and the GH3 allows it to be on any of the function buttons. This issue may well get solved in a future firmware release.

As far as I can see, bracketing settings are in the "Rec" menu on the GH3 and in "Shooting menu 2" (the second topmost menu) on the E-M5. What's the difference in terms of menu "depth"?

You can have bracketing via a button on the E-M5 too by assigning it to a "myset" (custom configuration). This solution is slightly inconvenient at this time since you have to keep the button pressed to access a myset but it works reasonably well if you use the right button (Fn1, which you can hold with your thumb). On the other hand, there is no risk that you accidentally leave bracketing on. On the E-PM2 and E-PL5, you can use mysets via the mode dial and hopefully a similar solution will be made available on the E-M5 too via a FW update.

At any rate, this particular issue (availability of bracketing via a button) is not really a matter of the overall logic or simplicity of the menu system, is it?

But the second issue was the lack of a fully reticulating rear screen. I take many of my photos on the tripod in a potrait orientation (gimbol mode). For this I need a screen that swings down in the portrait mode.

Yes, in that particular case, a fully articulating screen is preferable. On the other hand, there are also situations where you are better off with the tilting screen of the E-M5. We had a discussion about that here (see the post to which I link and others below in the same subthread).

I currently have a GH1 and I have a GH3 on order. I am convinced that the OM-D and GH3 have much the same image quality. I came from an SLR and 4x5 world, so the size and weight of the GH3 seem OK to me. But I can certainly understand where that would be as important to some people as my two issues were to me. I am far from a Panasonic biggot. One of my two most used lenses is my highly appreciated four-thirds Oly 50-200mm. The other most used lens is my Pan-Leica 25mm. The main reason I switched a few years back to m43 was the fact that it was, and is, the only format that has a relatively open format with many participants competing, including two high quality major players. I think we all benefit from this healthy competition. Even the highly vocal Oly and Pan biggots on this forum have better products because "their" company has to compete with the other "bad" company.

-- hide signature --

Reid Shay
www.sawatchpub.com

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow