Monitor for Photo Processing

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,397
Like?
Re: Monitor for Photo Processing
In reply to VT, Jan 27, 2013

VT wrote:

To me the calibration seems to have been done at the factory - that was the reason why I was enthusiastic.

I do understand that perhaps I should not trust, or put too much faith in factory calibration - and should use a calibration tool to at least check that the preset is really set correctly to sRGB - I intend to do this when I have the means, and opportunity.

I imagine that the factory is using a reference video signal of some sort as a base on which to do the "factory calibration".

How close do you think the output of the video card in your PC/Mac is to that factory system?

A factory calibrated monitor is only as good as the data fed to it.

And, as others have said, the monitor will age (was more of an issue with CRT's and CCFL back lights) and soon that factory calibration will off standard.

In essence, this factory calibration is in the same class of "features" as that 2,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio specification the marketing people use to separate you from the money in your wallet.

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow