Why to pay a fortune for PW system?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
UKphotographers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,993
Like?
The Quantum QFlash system
In reply to wint, Jan 27, 2013

wint wrote:

Could you please talk more about your Quantum lighting and the FreeXwire radio system?

Is it good also for on location? What about portability?

Quantum lighting is a whole system from a 'Basic' hotshoe Trio without built-in radio (as well as a built -in radio option) to higher powered 'T' series flashes which are all powered by 'Turbo' batteries - through to the 'X' series flashes powered by a power pack controller. The power pack controller is a base 200Ws unit but you can add additional 200Ws packs to that up to a total of 800Ws which then can be split between two heads at up to 400Ws each with each head being capable of individual control. Commonly with the X system, a 400Ws setup is used, but with all these options you get to configure your system the way you want it.

The FreeXwire system is Quantum's radio system. You can use it to control remote TTL, Auto or Manual Q-flashes of 80Ws, 160Ws, 200Ws, 400Ws or multiples of the same. Quantum have been providing remote power control and TTL for years, far longer than any of the other radio companies and they have a host of features designed with professional's in mind rather than enthusiasts. Not happy with just keeping control within the Quantum system they have options for their flashes to be controlled by Canon or Nikon optical as well as providing the ability to control remote Canon and Nikon flashes as part of a Quantum setup.

The radios are fast, built-in or plug-in, can trigger remote studio flashes alongside TTL setups, have long range options, sequencing, relaying and you trigger cameras from them. Their plug-in radios and receivers can be used by both Canon and Nikon meaning that any change in camera system won't necessitate a change of lighting equipment.

All said, it is beneficial to have all your system working together and be able to pick and choose the way you want to work. There are four different ways to control remote flashes ranging from from hotshoe mounted CoPilot controller through the Pilot controller and the radio enabled Trio flash to the more powerful T and X range flashes used as controllers in conjunction with their hotshoe adapters and/or radios. 'And/or' - because radio control can be via a built-in controller/radio or via an add-on radio... just another option. As well as these there are numerous ways 'just' to trigger remotes too.

It's great for location use. I use it all the time and sometimes add Lumedyne to the mix when my Quantum head count are used up. (Sharing modifier fittings makes this easy). Portability is always an issue. At one end you have PORTABILITY and at the other end you have POWER. Every situation demands something different and my solution ranges from a Trio and CoPilot/FreeXwire in my camera bag with a couple of Speedlights to a couple of T5d-Rs and batteries and stands in a shoulder bag to 3 cases containing 6 self contained QPaq 400Ws packs and head kits. With all those radio receivers to keep powered up, its useful to know that they all take their power from the flash heads, meaning that it all saves time from messing with gear so that you can just get on with shooting.

Theres a whole bunch of information at the Quantum site here: http://www.qtm.com

-- hide signature --

Ian.
http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk
Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow