A65 battery life/drain

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Questions thread
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,839
Like?
Re: A65 battery life/drain
In reply to Max Burke, Jan 27, 2013

You experience doesn't sound normal to me. I have an A77 and today I pulled it out to take shooting and realised I have left it switched on and in playback mode at least overnight. I thought the battery would be flat but it was showing 75%.

It had probably gone to sleep in my bag anyway but I know the battery was not much more charged than that as I also took it out yesterday.

One thing you might not be aware of is when you charge the batteries when the light goes off on the charger the battery is not likely to be at 100% charge despite what your camera may report.

The Sony chargers trickle charge the batteries and you can safely leave them on charge overnight even when the charge light has gone off. If you do this they will certainly top the battery up to a true 100%.

So I suggest you try this and see if that battery last longer than the others.

Of course how much battery drain there is also depends on how you use the camera in terms of how long it waits to go to sleep and if you have the eye start thing turned on. Eye start is fairly useless these days as it will turn your camera on if it hangs round your neck and rests against your chest. So turn this off as it can cause a lot of battery drain.

(Older Sony and Minolta cameras had a contact on the hand grip that meant eye start would only turn the camera on if the eye start sensor was triggered and you were holding the grip).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow