Does anyone use a 50mm as their main lens on a full frame?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
heulwen
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?
Re: Does anyone use a 50mm as their main lens on a full frame?
In reply to sroute, Jan 27, 2013

sroute wrote:

heulwen wrote:

Nice photographs and I too find the last of your series particularly intriguing.

Yeah, yeah, we have these cameras to be able to change lenses, but that's not why I'm into it. I just love to take pictures, and sometimes less is more in terms of gear. And less does not equal a p&s for me.

+1. I had five Zeiss lenses for my go-everywhere APS-C mirrorless (Ricoh GXR) but mostly (90% of the time) used one. We buy interchangeable cameras for many different reasons; I don't feel like I'm getting less out of my camera if I mostly just use two lenses, and certainly my daily carry bag is a lot lighter with only two along for the ride.

In my case I find 50mm equivalent just a little too long most of the time, and too short some of the time, so I tend to use a 35mm/1.4 as my go-to normal lens. For me a 35/1.4 and 85/1.8G meet my needs most of the time. Once in a while I'd like something a little wider, and even less frequently, I'd like the view/reach of a lens a bunch longer. When i pick up another lens for the D800 it will almost certainly be wider, probably a 20mm or something in the range of 18-24mm, and ideally a prime if it means smaller and lighter.

Thank you. I too love the combination of 35 and 85, that's the kit I travel with and use for both weddings and portraits. I'll throw in an old ai 20/4 or the 70-300 when I need something more on both ends, or grab my lensbaby or Soviet Helios 58/2 if all I want is to goof around, :). Yes, one lens does not fit all "missions", but I would not be lost and clueless if I had only one lens for the rest of my life. Maybe it depends on style or the reasons you got into photography in the first place? For me it's about capturing moods, emotions, something behind the, in comparison, sterile and lifeless lines and shapes of what we see with our eyes. And I can do that with any lens. Just as a thought, :).

heulwen's gear list:heulwen's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow