Bee on a rose with Raynox 150 apochromat
The post processing was minimal. I use Capture NX and all I did was to adjust the curve a little by moving the midpoint left. This still left the bees face in darkness so I put a color control point over the face, set the radius to cover that dark area and give it a little more brightness. Then a bit of unsharp mask and it was ready for the final crop and resizing for the web using FastStone.
I think that the crop took out some of the less interesting parts of the image and also some of the dark areas that contributed to the appearance of more even lighting.