Chris Noble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154Gear list
Like?
No substitute for hardware profiling
In reply to VT, Jan 27, 2013

VT wrote:

The first thing I did so to set the monitor for 100% sRGB -
which was just a simple set on the OSD to sRGB - and that was it -

Then I went to the various on-line monitor calibration sites to check the monitor -
it passed any and all the tests I could throw at it with ease.

This is a handy reference page that collects together the most useful calibration sites -
5 Online Tools to Help Calibrate Your Monitor

That includes the sites that I had found the most useful:
Photo Friday: Monitor Calibration Tool
and
Lagom LCD Monitor Test Pages

I hope this was helpful

1) The sRGB preset on your monitor will select a 100% sRGB gamut, but will not ensure that each color gradation within the gamut is displayed correctly. If you want accurate color display within the gamut (not just at the edges), you need to use an external calibrator that will step the monitor through many color combinations and build a profile table.

2) As the monitor ages, the color response will change so you need to recalibrate periodically. The factory presets can't be adjusted for aging.

3) Finally, it is difficult to set the brightness accurately without a hardware calibrator. This is important if you plan to print.

If this is a serious hobby for you, you should invest in a good calibrator.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow