Which Lens?

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Questions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,401Gear list
Like?
Re: 135 f/2
In reply to sustownsend, Jan 27, 2013

sustownsend wrote:

Thanks for the tips! I currently have the Canon 50mm f/1.8 so I kind of have the prime lens covered, and have already decided on puchasing a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) so, I'm mainly looking for something with good zoom capabillities. I was really wondering if the "optical stabilization" of the sigma is comparable to the "image stabilization" in the canon, and you answered my question! Thank you! I will be going with the sigma and am really excited to get out there and start practicing with it!

So far, unless I missed it, nobody has been told what cameras you use. That makes quite a big difference in lens selection. If you're using a pair of Canon 7D models, things are quite a bit different than if you're shooting 5D MKIII cameras. The 1.6 crop factor really narrows the view of a telephoto zoom like the 70-200 any brand.

When you say "good zoom capabilities" I assume you mean good telephoto range and not zoom. With the 28-75 you have the same "zoom capability" as the 70-200. They are both around a 3x ratio.

My concern is if you're going to attempt this with crop cameras. That 28mm on the wide side has the same field of view as a 45mm would on a full frame 5D as an example. If you don't have any other glass thand what you've said so far, then you don't have anthing wide angle. Many wedding shots, maybe half or so are shot wide. The inside of the church and outside come to mind. Maybe the rice throwing part and lots of the reception might be best wide. In the case of a wedding and depending on the light, wide and fast may be needed where the kit lens that came with the camera just is not acceptable.

If you're shooting something along the lines of 5D bodies, I'd expect that the 28-75 would possibly do the job. If not, I'd think you'd want something along the lines of a Tokina 11-16 or 17-55 Canon. I just don't think 45mm would cover even the grouip formals inside.

Just thinking about it. Oh and remember to bring and be comfortable with two strobes and have plenty of batteries for them. An extra battery for each camera as well as extra compact flash memory would be very handy. You might want the strobes on brackets to keep red-eye at a minimum. It saves time later in post fixing all of them. A tripod, assistant and a reflector often come in very handy for the formals. The assistant can float during the reception. For the large formals, I've often used a pair of studio strobes to really well light the entire group, allowing me a somewhat smaller aperture for a deeper depth of field where the edges of the group are sharp along with the center. A somewhat powerful camera or bracket mounted flash bounced can be nearly as good.

Good luck and have fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow