Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ottonis
Contributing MemberPosts: 591Gear list
Like?
Re: Some explanation about non AF wideangle on nex body
In reply to runningamok, Jan 27, 2013

runningamok wrote:

Hi everybody,

after having tried more wide angle lenses on my nex 7(sigma 8-16 and tokina 11-16) i have decided to try a prime, non autofocus, but i have some questions and would be happy for a help. I've seen that on the market we have some offers from samyang/rokinon and people talking good about these lenses: i'm considering the nex version of these lenses without having to usa the la-ea2 adapter, wich i think would not work with manual focus right?

Second question: there is a nex version of the 8mm but fisheye..is the fisheye effect very hard, or is the 14mm version better for wide angle pictures..more of these panorams and nature?

There are 2 versions of the 14mm and one is for video but it is the only one with nex mount: i was considering this lens in nex mount but i do not know if it is a good idea for taking pictures or if it is the same as the only photo version.

Voigtlander 12mm would be an other good possibility but it is too expensive..same for the 10-18 sony..wich here in italy is only possible to find for not less then 900 euros!

Thanks for any other alternative or suggestion!

If 19mm are wide enough for your needs, the Sigma 19mm 2.8 (E-Mount) is currently by far the best option for Nex cameras from a price/performance perspective.

If you need it wider than that, then the much hated SEL16mm + wide angle extender might be an option that won't break the bank but you would have to live with some compromises regarding IQ.

Anyways, a couple of days ago I got the Walimex/Rokinon 8mm f2.8 fisheye lens for e-Mount, just in order to have something useful at the very wide end of the spectrum.

My reasons to go with the 8mm Fisheye were:

1. It's really compact (MUCH smaller than M-Mount / FF wide angle lenses + Adapter)

2. You have the Option to get completely rid of the curved fisheye distortions in postprocessing and get a linear look

3. The combo of Sigma 19mm and Rokinon 8mm covers approximately the short and long end of focal range of the Sony 10-18mm WA zoom at considerably lower cost, faster glass (f2.8 vs. 4.5) and probably better/sharper IQ.

I am really happy with that combo

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow