Daaaaaaaamn! Check out the D5200 sensor!

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jack Hogan
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,026
Like?
Re: Aptina?
In reply to dethis2, Jan 27, 2013

dethis2 wrote: What this assumes is that the grey scale is linear with respect to photoelectrons collected. If at the top of that things are compressed, that is it takes more photons to produce the same grey level change (because the signal is in the region of the shoulder of the output transistor characteristic) then the apparent number of photoelectrons collected will be smaller than the actuals - which will cause the effect you observe.

How can we detect this non linearity ?

One way I am thinking of, is inspecting the histograms for the distribution of a well lit homogeneous area. Like the white patch of the Greyscale#14 at ephotozine's samples. It is about one stop lower than saturation.

Except that it's not that non-linearity we are after, I think. As you can see from the relative graph, the ISO100 curve is as well behaved as the others, so there is nothing there suggesting that as the exposure (time) is reduced the mean output raw values behave non-linearly, especially if we are observing the shot noise only portion in the middle of the curve (say .5-5% of full scale).

I believe the answer lies in a different unity gain being applied at ISO100 vs the rest , resulting in a different G in Bob's formula: take a look at the 'relative gain' in my table to see what I mean. Viewed from the point of view of the raw data, the sensitivity of the sensor has changed differently than expected at ISO100.

What I do not understand is why this isn't being picked up in DxO's supposedly accurate Sensitivity (Ssat) measurements. Steen Bay has reasonably suggested that Ssat is not really 69.  Iliah also seems to think so.  If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Doh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow