OM-D E-M5 a huge disappointment for me...

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,958Gear list
Like?
The answer is very simple.....
In reply to nolaalon, Jan 27, 2013

nolaalon wrote:

I read many reviews before choosing the E-M5 as a camera to replace my aging Oly dslr's. Upon spending a couple of weeks with it I find that this camera is fatally flawed for my use, and I just can not believe that this issue is not really addressed to the proper extent in reviews.

I shoot exclusively hand held and only available light. I have a steady hand and regularly shoot sharp shots at shutter times that violate the rule of thumb using my dslr. I am often shooting in the 1/8 to 1/200 range at base iso. On the OM-D E-M5 I find that 90% of the shots I take are blurred in a systematic way or "doubled". The degree or severity of the problem seems to be somewhat lens dependent. Given these results I dug deeper and discovered the "shutter shock" problem which has been discussed here in various threads. In my reading I found that setting an "anti-shock" delay is a method for reducing this problem, and in my testing it is an effective way to reduce, if not completely eliminate the problem. However, introducing a shutter lag on the order of fractions of a second reduces the performance and responsiveness of the camera in an unacceptable way. I am just surprised that this issue is not a deal breaker for more users, or a significant issue for reviewers. I guess many are content with using high iso to avoid the conditions that are most susceptible to shutter-shock, but to me it seems like a big compromise...

I am wondering, am I alone in being disappointed with the shutter-shock problems and the anti-shock delay solution? I would be interested in other user's experiences. The OM-D E-M5 is capable of delivering truly incredible image quality in a very compact package, but for me the anti-shock delay is a huge price to pay...

If you haven't seen it mentioned in reviews, or read too many people complaining of it, then that must mean it's not an issue for the majority of people using the OMD. Personally I accept that you get vibration issues with any camera with a mechanical shutter and the OMD has been no better or worse than anything else I've used in this respect.

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow