OM-D E-M5 a huge disappointment for me...

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,085Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D E-M5 a huge disappointment for me...
In reply to nolaalon, Jan 27, 2013

nolaalon wrote:

I read many reviews before choosing the E-M5 as a camera to replace my aging Oly dslr's. Upon spending a couple of weeks with it I find that this camera is fatally flawed for my use, and I just can not believe that this issue is not really addressed to the proper extent in reviews.

I shoot exclusively hand held and only available light. I have a steady hand and regularly shoot sharp shots at shutter times that violate the rule of thumb using my dslr. I am often shooting in the 1/8 to 1/200 range at base iso. On the OM-D E-M5 I find that 90% of the shots I take are blurred in a systematic way or "doubled". The degree or severity of the problem seems to be somewhat lens dependent. Given these results I dug deeper and discovered the "shutter shock" problem which has been discussed here in various threads. In my reading I found that setting an "anti-shock" delay is a method for reducing this problem, and in my testing it is an effective way to reduce, if not completely eliminate the problem. However, introducing a shutter lag on the order of fractions of a second reduces the performance and responsiveness of the camera in an unacceptable way. I am just surprised that this issue is not a deal breaker for more users, or a significant issue for reviewers. I guess many are content with using high iso to avoid the conditions that are most susceptible to shutter-shock, but to me it seems like a big compromise...

I am wondering, am I alone in being disappointed with the shutter-shock problems and the anti-shock delay solution? I would be interested in other user's experiences. The OM-D E-M5 is capable of delivering truly incredible image quality in a very compact package, but for me the anti-shock delay is a huge price to pay...

As you point out, the issue is lens-dependent. I currently use eight lenses with my E-M5. I have shutter-shock issues with two of them: the Olympus 75/1.8 and the Panasonic 100-300/4-5.6. With these two lenses, I prefer to use a shutter speed of about 1/200 or higher (which is about the same lower limit as I would have without stabilization with the 75 and with the zoom at the short end; towards the long end of the zoom, IBIS/OIS still helps to keep the shutter speed lower than could be expected without stabilization).

With the other six lenses I use (Samyang 7.5/3.5 FE, Olympus 12/2, Panasonic 20/1.7, Olympus 45/1.8, Panasonic 7-14/4, and Panasonic 14-45/3.5-5.6) I have no shutter-shock issues (if I use OIS rather than IBIS on the 14-45) and can enjoy shutter speeds up to three stops lower than those given by the standard 1/EFL rule (unless the subject moves too much).

As you might be aware, the E-M5 is not the only MFT body affected by shutter shock. The issue is hardly unknown when it comes to DSLRs either. Here is a very serious investigation (the most thorough I have seen) of shutter shock on the Pentax K-7:

http://www.falklumo.com/lumolabs/articles/k7shutter/index.html

A summary of the results is available here:

http://falklumo.blogspot.se/2010/07/lumolabs-shutter-induced-blur-with-slr.html

One might add that the loss of IQ by going from ISO 200 to ISO 400 is very small on the E-M5. The drop in DR is merely about 1/3 EV.

Obviously, we would all be happier if the shutter-shock issue wasn't there in the first place. But it's hardly an issue that makes the camera useless to me.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow