What's more important; wide angle lenses or telephoto lenses?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Questions thread
hikenhi
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
Re: What's more important; wide angle lenses or telephoto lenses?
In reply to GPGeneralPhoto, Jan 27, 2013

GPGeneralPhoto wrote:

I like both. You have a good wide angle lens, as evidenced by your first shot. You also have a good short telephoto (your second shot). Maybe something a bit longer like a Pentax 60-250mm? I'm not a birder, so the 500mm Sigma is not something that I am saving for. It's not that I wouldn't like one, it's just the high price for something that I would not use much puts me off.

Look at your photos and ask yourself if there was something to show that a telephoto lens could have captured better. Then ask how much magnification was needed to show that aspect of the scene. That will give an idea of what focal length to consider. Then balance the cost and weight and bulk of a suitable new lens against the loss of the shooting opportunity. It is not an easy comparison, but only you can do it.

-- hide signature --

-- I'm thankful to still be able to...

I also have the Tamron Di 70-200 f2.8 lens, but rarely use it, because it's just too heavy for my needs which usually involve carrying my lenses over great distances and long periods of time. If I were to get another medium telephoto lens it would most definately be the Pentax 60-250, even though it weighs about the same as the Tamron Di 70-200 f2.8; it's more compact because it has no internal zoom and it's weather sealed--huge plusses. Regardless I still think wider is better, for me at least.

hikenhi's gear list:hikenhi's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow