My First photo with the SX50... The moon and a cat or 2.

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Kaplan
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,033Gear list
Like?
My First photo with the SX50... The moon and a cat or 2.
Jan 27, 2013

HI

A bit about me... Although new to this forum I have been a member here at DPR for more than 10 years.

Been a Canon guy since my 1st Canon A-1 in middle 70's. Got into Digital with Canon Elura camcorder that took stills. Then got the Fuji S602 to see how serious I'd be, sold it after 10 Months and bought the 10D.

That progressed to 20D, 40D, 50D, 7D and then sold everything Canon and went to the Nikon D800 which is my main camera which I love. I also have a Samsung WB600 as my carry around but although it's ok, I have longed for something better.

Have been recently wanting something and had the points available from Airmiles so started looking for what I'd get. I love quality first but really am a zoom guy. After reading this forum and seeing the photos you can get from the SX50 I made my decision and jumped in. Although it is not quite as good as some like the G15 which is the other one that I almost bought and you certainly can't put it in a pocket (meaning I will in the future probably still want to replace my Samsung for something better but still pocketable) but is still better than the WB600 and well... has that amazing zoom.

I got it on the 21st and with the frigid winter weather we've been having and my working hours I have only played a bit with it indoors and have the usual cat photos and a box or 2 but tonight I finally got out and took some moon photos since it is a full moon and have no idea how clear the sky will be tomorrow. Although it was freezing cold, I took a few albeit rushed shots. Here is one of those shots (and a cat shot thrown in ). I did use a tripod and manual exposure and shot in RAW, converted with ACR with minor corrections, a bit of sharpening and cropping.

This was shot RAW and cropped. Didn't realize wasn't at full zoom. One shot before this was but preferred this exposure. The other shot can be seen in my Photo Site listed below.

Macro of my cat's ear with flash

One of my 2 Cats (Maya whose ear was in the Macro shot above) sleeping

So far love the SX50. Look forward to taking many photos with it.
Thanks for looking.

-- hide signature --

Michael Kaplan
http://www.pbase.com/mkaplan
See my profile for equipment list

Michael Kaplan's gear list:Michael Kaplan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D810 Samsung HZ30W Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +14 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow