Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jason Elander
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
Need advice on a cheap upgrade for a D100
Jan 27, 2013

I've had my D100 for many years and it has served well, but enough is enough. Used D300 can be had for $550, and new D7000 for $900. Subtract say $150 I might get for my D100 and an upgrade to the D300 is only $400. Nearly double that for a new D7000.

Looking at image tests, up to ISO 3200 I think the D300 noise looks better to me (more film grainy) than the D7000, but 6400 seems usable for the D7000 where the D300 totally breaks down at that point. Frankly I don't think there's as much of a difference in noise between the more recent crop DSLRs as the hype suggests. All of them look way better than my ancient D100. Although, all the review sites now post the D300s tests. Not sure if the D300 is worse.

D300 control layout and body looks nicer to me, but with a new camera you are guaranteed perfect condition and a year long warranty- less risky.

If I had lots of free cash I'd get the D600 and upgrade a bunch of my lenses, but alas it is not so.

Also I'm considering selling all my Nikon stuff to buy into an Oly OMD-E5. I just wonder about Nikon's commitment to the DX format when they are letting so many of their fans of that twisting in the wind long overdue for upgrades.

Jason Elander's gear list:Jason Elander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D300S Nikon D600 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow